Tag: webdav

Webclient Service File Size limit in SharePoint

We ran into an issue with some custom code that was doing a System.IO.File.Copy from a WebDav (SharePoint) to a UNC network share. Everything was working great until the file sizes we were transferring hit approx. 47MB in size. At this point, it craps out with an error.

When you upload a large file (over 50Mb usually) to SharePoint 2010, you might get an “Error 0x800700DF: The file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved” message. Check your  current SharePoint file size upload quota and web.config settings. If the quota is not a problem, then the error is most likely caused by a local restriction set on Web Client service. By default, Web Client file size limit is set to 47Mb or so. To increase this limit:

  • Backup the Windows Registry – be cool, keep your job
  • Open Windows Registry using regedit command
  • Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesWebClientParameters
  • Right click on the FileSizeLimitInBytes and click Modify
  • Click on Decimal, and type 4294967295 and click OK
  • Restart Web Client service by typing services.msc.
This will increase the Web Client file size limit to 4Gb, which is a maximum file size you can upload using WebDAV. Please note, that this will only address Web Client service restrictions, and will not increase your SharePoint quota .. you still need to address those points approriately as per the linked MSDN blog post above.
It is also of note that the SharePoint max, cannot raise, hardcoded file size limit is 2GB, period, so raising to 4Gb is essentially overkill. 😉
p.s Don’t forget, if you want to use WebDAV effectively in SharePoint, you will need to have the Desktop Experience feature turned on in Win2k8 – you’ll run into inexplicable intermittent transfer drops otherwise.

p.p.s See my post SharePoint 2010 File Size Upload Limits – The Essential Mix for a full run down of all the file size limit jazz in SP 2010.

Network Name Cannot be Found – Intermittent issues with WebClient

When attempting to use WebDav to copy a file from one location to another programmatically, I ran into intermittent failures with the following error:

http://site_name is not accessible. Either this location does not exist or you might not have permission to use this network resource.

A similar client-side error (manipulating files with WebDav in Windows Explorer) would be:
Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer.

Whenever we face such kind of issues, one thing should be important that you have already installed a valid copy of Office application on your client machine becuase Explorer view is windows feature provided by means of sharepoint that uses client functionalty i.e. Office 2010.

-Ensure you have Office Professional PLUS installed on your client machine.
-Integration features of Office client Applications and SharePoint uses WebClient service running on the client machine.

The problem where I faced was that something was missing from the server. On the Windows Server 2008 R2, I started searching for the WebClient Service to see if it was running or not. I went to Start
->Administrative Tools->Services and browsed through all the services but could not find it.

Generally, we find this service in services console so it was odd to not see it. The solution is that this service is deployed as part ofthe feature The name of the windows server feature Desktop Experience. The WebClient service is installed only when you install the Desktop Experience feature on you Server 2008 machine.

Here are the steps that I have taken to resolve this issue:

1) Go to Start->Administrative Tools->Server Manager
2)In Server manager Click on Features and the click Add Features
3)Select the Desktop Experience Feature and install it. Then Restart the Server (Required for installation of the feature)
4)Go to Start->Administrative Tools->Services
5)Select the Web Client Service and Start it.

So, in a nutshell- if you are deploying an SP2010 server and you want users to be able to take advantage of WebDAV in a reliable way – make sure Desktop Experience is activated and your WebClient service is running.

A similar problem has been posted here: http://mysharepointwork.blogspot.ca/2011/09/network-name-cannot-be-found-accessing.html