Microsoft Lync is now Skype for Business. The latest addition to the Microsoft Office 365 family, Skype for Business connects people everywhere to do more together.
What you need to know:
- There will still be two distinct products: Skype for Business and Skype for Consumers.
- Skype for Business does not “replace” Lync; rather the next release of the on-premises version of Microsoft Lync Server and the Microsoft Lync Client will be renamed to “Skype for Business”.
- The Lync product stays the same under the covers – all the components, technology, infrastructure, and associated capabilities stay as Lync – just the name changes.
- Microsoft will continue to make Skype for Business and Skype for Consumers interoperate (i.e. communicate) with each other – ultimately aiming for a seamless experience whether you are at work or at home. Today instant messaging, audio, and video are supported.
- Skype for Business (aka Lync ) will have the ability to use the Skype Directory directly from the next release of the Lync Client! This will make it much easier to add Skype contacts and communicate with them.
- The new Skype for Business client will visually look more like the existing Skype client (e.g. theme, icons and workflow) but with all the capabilities of the current Lync client.
- Upgrading to the next version of Lync Server (aka Skype for Business) will require no new hardware from a Lync Server 2013 requirements standpoint.
Meetings, messaging, and more.
This is a great time to take a look at what Skype for Business offers.
Skype for Business is ideal for scheduling and running online meetings. Attendees can join from their computers, tablets, or phones. You can use video to connect and get on the same page or quickly trade IMs with your project team. Skype for Business makes communication easy and makes you more productive.
Not sure how to best use it? Have a look at this video for some ideas.
Some Technical Resources:
TechNet Documentation: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398616.aspx
Skype for Business Protocol Workloads Poster: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46448
Skype for Business change management and adoption: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Skype-for-Business-change-management-and-adoption-d8d85da6-52e7-4819-8451-45c103fb5ccb?omkt=en-us&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
Skype for Business Client awareness and readiness resources: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46369
Skype for Business FAQs: https://products.office.com/en-US/skype-for-business/faqs
Skype for Business Solutions Catalog: http://partnersolutions.skypeforbusiness.com/solutionscatalog
Some key opinions from around the blogosphere: