Tag: explorer view

Network Name Cannot be Found – Intermittent issues with WebClient

When attempting to use WebDav to copy a file from one location to another programmatically, I ran into intermittent failures with the following error:

http://site_name is not accessible. Either this location does not exist or you might not have permission to use this network resource.

A similar client-side error (manipulating files with WebDav in Windows Explorer) would be:
Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer.

Whenever we face such kind of issues, one thing should be important that you have already installed a valid copy of Office application on your client machine becuase Explorer view is windows feature provided by means of sharepoint that uses client functionalty i.e. Office 2010.

-Ensure you have Office Professional PLUS installed on your client machine.
-Integration features of Office client Applications and SharePoint uses WebClient service running on the client machine.

The problem where I faced was that something was missing from the server. On the Windows Server 2008 R2, I started searching for the WebClient Service to see if it was running or not. I went to Start
->Administrative Tools->Services and browsed through all the services but could not find it.

Generally, we find this service in services console so it was odd to not see it. The solution is that this service is deployed as part ofthe feature The name of the windows server feature Desktop Experience. The WebClient service is installed only when you install the Desktop Experience feature on you Server 2008 machine.

Here are the steps that I have taken to resolve this issue:

1) Go to Start->Administrative Tools->Server Manager
2)In Server manager Click on Features and the click Add Features
3)Select the Desktop Experience Feature and install it. Then Restart the Server (Required for installation of the feature)
4)Go to Start->Administrative Tools->Services
5)Select the Web Client Service and Start it.

So, in a nutshell- if you are deploying an SP2010 server and you want users to be able to take advantage of WebDAV in a reliable way – make sure Desktop Experience is activated and your WebClient service is running.

A similar problem has been posted here: http://mysharepointwork.blogspot.ca/2011/09/network-name-cannot-be-found-accessing.html