There is a huge amount of great content available at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ca/microsoft-365/community/
This repository is here for YOU. The goal is to build an open source set of content to help people like Information Architects, Business Analysts, “Makers” (aka Citizen Developers), and Site Owners who want to use the Microsoft 365 platform better.
The authors are Microsoft MVP’s, industry insiders, and all other kinds of super helpful types. In particular i’m lovin’ the shift to term “Better Practices” instead of “Best Practices”. It’s a great acknowledgement that the world is a big place and one size does not always fit all.
While Microsoft’s Technet offering has consistently improved over the decades in terms of quality of content, the M365 Community Content comes off as more uniquely opinionated and field-experience driven. The unique evolutions of the contributors provides a writing style that seems more plain-language and relatable than most “documentation” that’s normally consumed.
Using Github as a platform for published documentation seems like a bit of a game changer as compared to those stodgy old textbook-like paper books that us IT geeks have traditionally bought.
Without further ado, the content as of this date:
Microsoft 365 Community Content
Learn about Microsoft 365 from the community! All content is community generated.
Basics and Definitions
- Follow Microsoft 365 on Social Media
- Microsoft 365 Search Technologies
- What is a Site Column?
- What is a Content Type?
- Groups in Microsoft 365 and Azure, and Which is Right for You
- What kind of apps can you build on Microsoft 365?
- Query String URL Tricks for SharePoint and Microsoft 365
Microsoft 365 Better Practices
- Accessibility by Design
- Content Type Propagation
- OneDrive PC Folder Backup Benefits for End Users
- Why Microsoft 365 adoption projects fail
Maturity Model for Microsoft 365
- Collaboration Competency
- Communication Competency
- People and Communities Competency
- Search Competency
- Staff & Training Competency
- Business Process Competency
- Management of Content Competency
- Customization and Development Competency
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance Competency
- Elevating Collaboration
- Elevating Communication
- Elevating Staff and Training
- Elevating People and Communities
- How to run a Maturity Model for Microsoft 365 workshop
SharePoint Better Practices
- Site Builder/Owner – New Site Checklist
- Versioning in SharePoint
- Planning Permissions with Group-based SharePoint Sites when you’re used to Regular SharePoint Permissions
- Importing Data
- SharePoint Naming Guidelines
- Benefits of using PowerShell with SharePoint
- Why SharePoint Training is Important
- Building great content for your Intranet
- Identifying Your SharePoint Champions
- Empowering Your SharePoint Champions
- Information Architecture – Site Topology
- Information Architecture – Managed Metadata vs Lookup columns
- Living Large with Large Lists and Large Libraries
- Creating Useful Views for Lists & Libraries
- How Do Site Columns Become Managed Properties – Thus Available for Search?
- Document Sets for Fast Legacy Process Automation
- The Principles of Communication
- The Principles of Search
- The Evolution of Company-wide Email Communication to SharePoint News
- How to Share Org-Wide Communication in Microsoft 365
Making Better Decisions
- Team site vs Communication site – Which one should I choose?
- List columns or Site columns – which one to choose?
- Changing Microsoft Teams from private to public – What to expect in SharePoint
- A Guided Tour Designed to Help You Select an Effective Navigation Strategy
- Auto Apply Retention Labels in Office 365 Using Content Types and Metadata
- Can Machine Learning be used to assign managed metadata attributes for items?
- Designing your solution for scale
- Should I store my files in Microsoft Teams or in SharePoint?
- Defining a Power Platform Environment Strategy
- Library scenarios
- Using site designs to manage project life cycles
- Working with Cascading Lists in SharePoint and Power Apps
- Document Lifecycle Scenarios
- Power Automate – Send SharePoint files as attachments
- How can I use Learning Pathways in my organization?
- Advanced Highlighted Content Web Part
- Working with modern client-side pages using PnP PowerShell
- Should everyone create Teams? A Low Code Provisioning solution
- Managing SharePoint Online Security: A Team Effort
- Basic Security Set Up for Microsoft 365
- Managing External Guests in SharePoint vs Teams
- The Power Platform Data Loss Prevention (DLP) policies you should be considering on Day 1