You don’t have Add and Customize Pages permissions required to perform this action
Steps to create the message “You don’t have Add and Customize Pages permissions required to perform this action”:
1. Make a new document library, set it the “Basic Page” template.
2. Assign a user Full Control on the document library
3. Have that user create a new document in the new document library.
>>> At this point you may receieve “Web Part Error: A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Page cannot be displayed or imported. You don’t have Add and Customize Pages permissions required to perform this action.”
This causes a lot of confusion as applying “Full Control” on the document ibrary would seem to imply to the layman that the users in that group would be granted access accordingly. However it’s clearly not working for you at this point, so what’s the scoop on this? Turns out SharePoints famed “inverted NTFS Permission”-style permission hierarchy is not as clear cut as simply saying “SharePoint Permissions are granted in order most permissive first”.
At this point, a frustrated admin would start looking at the next possible permissions to fiddle with, in order to work around the seemingly odd error message:
1. Clearly taking the next step up of giving someone “Full Control” of the entire site (Site Actions > Site Permissions), would not be desirable in most cases.
2. Giving the user “Add and Customize Pages” permissions on the entire site would allow them to edit, but is also probably not desirable in most circumstances since they could also “Add, change or delete HTML pages or Web Part pages and edit the web site using designer.
1. You must have “Add and Customize Pages” permission from the site level to perform this action, the permission is not in the list permission level.
2. Add a new permission level which only includes “Add and Customize Pages” permission, and then create a new SharePoint group with this permission level.
3. Add the users into the SharePoint group and these users will get the “Add and Customize Pages” permission from the site level (site permission).
4. To Add/Edit a page, the users would also need the permission level “Contributor” in the list permission level.
It’s important to note that when you grant the full control to the users in the list permission level, that the users won’t get the permission from the site level.